The reality is that kids have many question about rules and why they need to follow them.
What a great opportunity to teach them about the Ten Commandments for kids, (simple and easy version for them to remember.) Using daily opportunities that arise to gently and creatively teach our children about these laws can help in their understanding and how to apply them into their everyday life decisions.
Once they know God's rules and why God loves us so much that He made them for us, to keep us safe, then they can have more understanding of why we should follow them. Children can get an early start at using them in a "safe environment". As they get older they will be prepared to use them as a compass, determining the right path from wrong.
1. No Other God: You must not have any other god but me.
2. No Idols: You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You must not bow down to them or worship them, for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God who will not tolerate your affection for any other gods.
3. Do Not Misuse God's Name: You must not misuse the name of the Lord your God. The Lord will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name.
4. Rest On The Sabbath: Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath day of rest dedicated to the Lord your God. On that day no one in your household may do any work.
5. Honour Your Parents: Honor your father and mother. Then your will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
6. Do Not Murder: You must not Murder.
7. No Adultery: You must not commit adultery.
8. Do Not Steal: You must not steal
9. Do Not Lie: You must not testify falsely against your neighbor.
10. Do Not Covet: You must not covet your neighbor's house. You must not covet your neighbor's wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else that belongs to your neighbor.